Monday, December 14, 2009

Musings on the Holidays

The Holidays are coming up again – and what has not been said on this subject? I cannot think of anything! The discussion is, as usual, can we manage the stress and make the experience pleasurable? This year for many, there’s probably an additional focus on money - or rather the reduced amounts of it available! The quote "In bringing up children, spend on them half as much money and twice as much time." (L. J. Peter) may speak more to parents this year than before!

So the one thing I find myself focusing on is quality rather than quantity - and the concept of relishing; relishing every positive fraction of every tiny moment. As I bake the mince pies, I want to relish the aromas that waft towards me. Each time I walk past the tree in our living room, I want to relish the beauty of the twinkling lights and the sweet decorations collected over the years. Before, during and after each meal, I want to take the time to deeply appreciate every morsel consumed, knowing how privileged we are to be consuming such meals at all. Relishing to me is like the physical version of appreciating, felt so acutely it creates a physical response – the mouthwatering experience, the involuntary smile, the warm glow. And what more do I need – for these are the physical manifestations of happiness, and to decide to relish is to decide to be happy – at any time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment